It’s August already. Summer 2017 is winding to a close. Although the children are likely becoming a little stir crazy and parents are looking towards the beginning of school, there is still time to squeeze in some summer memories.
You may not have had the time or funding to take a grand, memorable vacation with your children this summer. Instead of writing it off with little more than a yawn, there is still time to breath life back into the Summer of 2017. Create memories that you and your children won’t soon forget.
It’s so easy to fall into the trap of thinking you have to have a big vacation to make summer memorable. Honestly, your children will remember the time they spent with you doing things you both love. It’s not so much what you do but how you make them feel. Don’t put off or minimize the impact of little things. Sometimes it’s the random, unplanned happenings that stay permanently embedded in your children’s memory for a lifetime.
I want to encourage you to be purposeful about making memories with your children. Don’t just plan activities FOR them. Create an experience WITH them. Be sure and capture the
memories that you make together. When you are in the moment, it’s easy to believe that you will never forget. However, it’s impossible to remember all of the moments in the process of time.
Not only that, but the summer sun seems to grow children like fertilizer. You will be amazed how much they can grow in one summer season.
Here are some ideas to squeeze all of the goodness out of the last days of summer:
* Get in the kitchen and cook together. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. Cookies to share with neighbors, grandparents, or me, are always a win.
* Plan a scavenger hunt by flashlight.
* Have a water gun fight or fill buckets with soapy water and have a sponge fight.
* Turn the TV off and read a classic book as a family in the evenings with popcorn.
* Camp out in the backyard and look for falling stars. This is a great time to tell your children
stories from your childhood.
* Host an end of summer party and invite other families. Play minute to win it games.
* Print the pictures off of your phone from things you have done this summer. Gather colorful paper, stick glue, and some markers. Make a Summer 2017 memory book together.
These are just a few ideas of things you can do with your children this final stretch of summer. The most important thing is just spending time together making memories. Don’t forget to
capture those memories. They will be a precious gift both to you and your children.
C’est l’Amour Photography specializes in Maternity, Newborn, Baby and Family portraiture. We are located in Oshawa right off the highway and serves families in and around the GTA including but not limited to Bowmanville, Courtice, Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Markham, Richmond Hill, Thornhill, and Vaughn.